DMV Appointments in California
Book an Express Appointment
Many of the most common DMV visits can be scheduled ahead of time, and some services can even be completed online or by mail, with no in-person visit necessary.
The quickest and easiest way to schedule a California dmv appointment is online using the CA DMV’s online portal.
Once you make your DMV appointment, you can reschedule or cancel your visit by using the same portal.
If you prefer to make an appointment over the phone, use the CA DMV’s automated service by calling 1-800-777-0133.
You can make an appointment with a DMV field office for many different services including:
- Renewing your driver’s license (if eligible, you may do this online or by mail).
- Requesting a duplicate driver’s license.
- Changing the name on your license.
- Scheduling a:
- Written knowledge test (schedule your visit before 4:30 P.M.)
- Behind-the-wheel driving test.
- Commercial driving test.
The DMV DOES NOT accept appointments to renew vehicle registrations. For information on how to renew your registration, click here.
An in-person visit may not be necessary. Some of the services that the CA DMV makes available online or by mail include:
- Renewing your driver license*.
- Renewing vehicle registration*.
- Replacing a vehicle registration.
- Changing your address.
Can’t Make a CA DMV Appointment?
If you are unable to schedule a California DMV appointment online or by phone, you can still save time by planning to visit when it’s less crowded.
Consider this when deciding the best time to visit the DMV:
- Mornings are usually less crowded than evenings.
- The middle of the week is typically not as busy as Mondays and Fridays.
- Most employees take lunch around noon. Get there earlier if you can.
- The DMV closes at 5PM, give yourself plenty of time to complete your transaction.
- The DMV stops administering written and road tests at 4:30PM.