When planning for a trip to the WYDOT, consider the best times to avoid long waits.
- Mornings are generally less crowded than afternoons.
- Mid-week is less crowded than Mondays or Fridays.
- Any day before or after a holiday will likely be more crowded.
- The first and last days of the month are often busy with customers conducting last minute business.
- DMV staff often go on lunch break starting around noon, leaving a reduced crew. Try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Be sure to arrive with plenty of time before closing to complete your transaction. This is especially important if you need to be complete a written test or road test.
For most DOT services you must visit a branch office. Scheduling of appointments and other online services are not currently available in Wyoming. The alphabetical listing of branch offices https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/driver_license_records/license_locations.html is listed by city.
To apply for a Wyoming driver license or permit, you must present several required documents.
- a valid U.S. passport or state-certified birth certificate
- proof of your Social Security Number (Social Security card, W-2 form, IRS tax form, etc.)
- two (2) current forms of proof of Wyoming residency such as:
- current utility bill with your name and residential (not P.O. box) address on it;
- current rental or lease agreement with your name and residential (not P.O. box) address on it;
- certified voter registration certificate (containing your name and residential address - not P.O. box) displaying the stamp of the current county clerk for that county; or
- vehicle registration in your name with your Wyoming residential address (not P.O. box) on it.
- If you are new to Wyoming learn the details of obtaining a new Wyoming license. https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/driver_license_records/new_licenses.html
- To renew your drivers license you can do so by mail by completing the application http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/live/sites/wydot/files/shared/Driver_Services/Forms/Driver%20License%20ID%20Card%20Application%20(FSDL-705)%20JAN2014v2%20-%20fillable.pdf and mailing it to WYDOT. All drivers are required to renew in person at least once every 8 years.
- If you lost your license https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/driver_license_records/lost_renewal.html you can replace it by going to the WYDOT office.
- To change your address on your license you must complete the required form http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/live/sites/wydot/files/shared/Driver_Services/Forms/Notice%20of%20Change%20of%20Address.pdf and bring it to a WYDOT office.
- For a name change https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/driver_license_records/add_or_change_information.html or other changes to your drivers license, you must also go to a WYDOT office.
- For registration, plates and titles https://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/titles_plates_registration.html it is helpful to print out the application https://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/live/sites/wydot/files/shared/Motor%20Vehicle%20Services/2013%20TITLE%20APP-VIN%20INSPECTION%20FORM.pdf before going to the WYDOT office.
Save time at the Wyoming Department of Transportation office by knowing the requirements and shortcuts to complete your transaction. There are specific paperwork requirements for every WYDOT transaction. Knowing what to expect ahead of time will save time and hassle and maybe even save having to make a dreaded second trip.