In Michigan, driver and vehicle services are handled by the Secretary of State’s (SOS) office. To ensure you’ll spend less time at your local office, make an appointment beforehand.
To schedule your Michigan DMV appointment, visit the online portal and:
Input your zip code or city.
- Select the office that you prefer.
- Choose a category for the reason for your visit (testing, driver’s license transaction, etc.).
- Choose a date and time.
- Input your name, phone number, and email address.
- Confirm you have all the items necessary to process your transaction.
Please note that if you make an appointment and don’t show up, you may be barred from scheduling SOS appointments in the future.
For many common DMV transactions, there’s no reason to leave your house. Through the SOS website, you can:
- Renew your vehicle registration.
- Order a duplicate registration.
- Renew your Michigan ID or driver’s license.
- Order a replacement ID.
- Order a new license plate.
These are just some examples. If you can, try to complete your transaction online -- not only will it save you time and energy, it will help keep the lines at the office to a minimum for others.
If you do have to make a trip to your local office, save time by:
- Visiting mid-week. Mondays and Fridays tend to be the busiest.
- Avoiding the first and last days of the month.
- Avoiding the days preceding or following holidays.
- Getting there early. Lunch hours and evenings are generally more crowded. Also, make sure you give yourself enough time to complete your transaction, especially if you have to take an exam.