It is NOT a requirement for all Michigan residents to obtain a REAL ID. However, beginning October 2021, a REAL ID or other federally accepted ID (such as a U.S. passport) will be required to:
- Enter certain federal facilities.
- Access nuclear power plants.
- Board a commercial aircraft (even for domestic flights).
If you already have a Michigan enhanced license, OR your ID has a star in the upper-right corner, your ID already satisfies REAL ID requirements. You can renew your license or ID the same way you would for a standard ID.
Obtaining a REAL ID for the first time must be done in person and requires some extra documentation.
Obtaining a Michigan REAL ID
To get a REAL ID in Michigan, you must visit your local Secretary of State (SOS) branch office. Consider making an appointment beforehand. If you already have a Michigan state ID or license, you need only provide that, a U.S. passport or birth certificate, and payment. If not, you must provide:
- Proof of identity. This may be your:
- S. passport.
- Foreign passport.
- S. military discharge document.
- Proof of legal presence. This may include your:
- S. birth certificate.
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Valid employment authorization document.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 or 10-99 form.
- Pay stub that contains your full social security number (SSN) and name.
- Proof of Michigan residency (2 documents required). This may be your:
- Utility bill issued within the last 90 days.
- Financial institution statement issued within the last 90 days.
- Pay stub containing your name and address.
- Payment for the applicable fee.
If your name on any documents do not match, you must also provide proof of legal name change, such as a court-issued:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Proof of legal name change.
The Michigan SOS has a complete list of accepted documents.
Michigan REAL ID Fees
There is no additional cost associated with obtaining a REAL ID in Michigan. If it is not yet time to renew, you will be charged a correction fee. Standard license fees apply:
- Original standard license: $25.
- Standard driver’s license renewal: $18.
- Standard license correction: $9.
- Chauffeur’s original license or renewal: $35.
- Chauffeur’s license correction: $18.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) original or renewal: $25.
- Non-driver ID:
- Non-driver ID correction: $10.