Michigan Driver’s License Renewal
There are a few different ways Michigan residents can renew their driver’s licenses or state IDs.
Residents can renew:
- By mail.
- In person.
Residents are required to renew in person if they:
- Renewed online or by mail last time.
- Hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Are applying for a REAL ID for the first time.
- Suffered any injuries or disabilities that may affect their ability to drive (applies to driver’s licenses only).
- Have renewed their license within the last 4 years (applies to driver’s licenses only).
Renew MI License or ID Online
To renew online, you must meet the eligibility requirements for remote renewal outlined in the section above. You must also:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have provided the Secretary of State (SOS) with your social security number (SSN) in the past.
- NOT hold an enhanced driver’s license or state ID.
- Have NOT changed your address within the last 10 days.
- Have NOT ordered a duplicate license or ID within the last 4 weeks.
To renew online, visit the SOS online portal and provide your:
- Last 4 digits of your SSN.
- Driver’s license or ID number.
- Date of birth.
- Eye color as it appears on your license or ID.
- Credit or debit card information for payment.
Once you’ve completed the transaction, print or save your receipt for your files. Your new ID will be mailed to the address on file with the SOS.
Renew Michigan License by Mail
In addition to the requirements for remote renewal outlined in the top section, you CANNOT renew your license or ID by mail if you are on the sex offender registry.
The SOS will mail you a renewal notice approximately 45 days before your license or ID expires. To get your new ID before your old one expires, be sure to complete your renewal at least 3 weeks before expiration.
To renew by mail, simply:
- Complete and sign the form that came attached to your renewal notice.
- Update your address if you need to.
- Provide a check or money order for the amount owed.
- Mail your items to the address provided on the notice.
The SOS will mail back your new license or ID.
Renew MI License in Person
To renew your Michigan license or ID in person, visit your local SOS office and bring your:
- Current license or ID.
- Glasses or contacts if you require them to drive (you must take a vision test).
- Payment for the renewal fee.
Michigan License Renewal Fees
- Standard driver’s license: $18.
- Chauffeur’s license: $35.
- CDL: $25.
- Motorcycle endorsement renewal: $7.
- Non-driver ID: Free.
- Enhanced state ID: $30.
- Enhanced state ID (65 years old and older OR blind): $20.
- Moped license: $6.
- Late fee: $7. If your license expires on a weekend or holiday, you can renew the following business day without incurring this fee.