Book an Express Appointment
Save time at your local driver licensing office by making an appointment in advance through the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) website.
To schedule your appointment, visit the online portal and provide your:
- TX driver’s license or ID card number.
- Date of Birth.
- Last 4 digits of your social security number (SSN).
- Contact information.
Choose the location, date, and time most convenient for you and schedule your appointment.
Sometimes, you won’t even need to visit your local office to take care of your TX DMV business. Many common DMV tasks are available online.
Through the Texas DPS website, you can:
- Renew your driver’s license or ID.
- Replace your driver’s license or ID.
- Renew your registration.
- Pay fees to reinstate your Texas license.
- Obtain your driving record.
Check to see if you can complete your DMV business online before you make a trip.
It’s unavoidable -- sometimes you’ll have to visit your local office. Keep these tips in mind to ensure you don’t spend too much time waiting in line:
- Mondays and Fridays are usually busier than the middle of the week.
- The first and last days of the month are typically the most crowded.
- Avoid visiting on days immediately before or after a holiday.
- Lunch hours and evenings are generally more crowded than the mornings. Also, make sure you leave yourself enough time to complete your transaction before closing -- especially if you’re taking a test.