The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) allows customers to book appointments beforehand to avoid long lines at the office. You can book up to 21 days in advance.
To book a DMV appointment in South Carolina:
- Visit the SCDMV online portal.
- Select “Schedule an Appointment” OR “Book a CDL Test.”
- Choose your location.
- Pick a date and time.
- Provide your contact information and confirm your booking.
Many DMV transactions do NOT require a trip to the office. The SC DMV allows customers to complete the following tasks and more online:
- Change your address.
- Renew your license or ID.
- Replace your license or ID.
- Renew your vehicle registration.
- Pay license reinstatement fees.
If you must visit your local DMV office, you can save time by choosing the right time. Consider avoiding:
- Mondays and Fridays.
- The first and last days of the month.
- The days preceding or following national holidays.
- The lunch hours or evenings.
With every in-person DMV visit, make sure you leave yourself enough time to complete your transaction, especially if you’re taking a test.