South Carolina drivers and residents must have a valid driver’s license or non-operator’s ID. There are a few ways to renew a South Carolina license or ID. You can renew:
- In person.
- By mail.
Upgrading to a REAL ID requires additional documentation.
Eligibility Requirements to Renew SC License Online or by Mail
To be eligible to renew a South Carolina license or ID online or by mail, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- NOT possess a commercial license.
- Hold a license that has NOT been expired more than 9 months.
- Have a valid social security number (SSN).
- Have accrued a maximum of 5 points on your driving record within the last 2 years.
- NOT have a suspended license.
- NOT be a convicted violent offender.
- Have renewed your license in person last time.
- Have completed an eye exam with a licensed eye-care professional (drivers only). They will submit a Certification of Vision Examination for Non-commercial Beginner Permits or Driver's Licenses (SCDMV 412-NC) to the DMV.
- NOT hold a special or restricted license.
How to Renew Your SC License Online
To renew online, visit the SC DMV online portal and provide your:
- License or ID number.
- Credit card information for payment of the renewal fee.
Once you’ve completed the transaction, your new license will be mailed to your address.
How to Renew Your South Carolina License by Mail
To renew your license or ID by mail:
- Complete a “Renew a Driver’s License by Mail (SCDMV DL-63)” form.
- Write a check or money order for the renewal fee, made payable to the “SCDMV.”
- Mail your items to:
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0035
Renew Your SC License in Person
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements to renew remotely, or if you prefer to do so in person, you must visit your local DMV office.
There you must provide your:
- Liability insurance information (for drivers).
- Pass a vision exam (for drivers).
- Pay the renewal fee.
You may also be asked to provide your current identification.
If you are a CDL holder, you must also bring your Medical Certification (SCDMV Form DL-405A), and complete an Application for a Commercial Driver's License or Commercial Learner's Permit (447-CDL).
Non-U.S. citizens must provide:
- Proof of SC address. This may include your:
- Current license or ID.
- School records.
- Federal or state tax records.
- Proof of identity. This may include your:
- Employment authorization document.
- I-94 document and passport.
- Social security card.
- A social security card or non-work authorized status document from the Social Security Administration to satisfy the proof of social security requirements.
SC License Renewal Fees
- License (valid 4 years or less): $12.50.
- Hazmat license (valid 5 years): $15.
- License (valid 8 years): $25.
- ID cards (for people between 5-16 years old): $15.
- ID cards (17 years old or older): Free.
- CDL renewal fee: $25 license fee + $15 application fee.