South Carolina REAL ID
It is NOT mandatory to get a REAL ID. However, you’ll need either a REAL ID or another federally accepted ID (such as a passport) to:
- Board a plane.
- Enter a federal facility.
- Enter a nuclear power plant.
All REAL IDs have a gold star in the upper-right corner.
SC REAL ID Requirements
If you have the required documents on file with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you can apply for your REAL ID online. However, most people will have to visit your local DMV office and provide:
- Proof of identity. This may include your:
- S. passport.
- S. birth certificate.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 or 1099 tax form.
- Proof of residency (2 documents required). This may include your:
- Valid SC driver’s license or ID.
- Utility bill (canNOT be more than 90 days old).
- Proof of name change (if applicable). This may be a:
- Divorce decree.
- Marriage certificate.
- Other court-issued document.
- Payment for the applicable fee.
If you are a CDL holder, you must also bring your Medical Certification (SCDMV Form DL-405A) as well.
South Carolina REAL ID Fees
REAL ID does NOT cost more than a standard license or non-driver ID. However, you’ll be charged for a replacement card if it is NOT time to renew your card.
- License (valid 4 years or less): $12.50.
- Hazmat license (valid 5 years): $15.
- License (valid 8 years): $25.
- ID cards (for people between 5-16 years old): $15.
- ID cards (17 years old or older): Free.
- CDL renewal fee: $25 license fee + $15 application fee.