Title and Register a Car in South Carolina
Drivers in South Carolina are required to title and register their vehicles with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), whether they:
- Purchased a vehicle from a private seller. Dealerships and businesses usually handle the registration transaction at the point of sale.
- Moved to SC from another state.
Before registering your vehicle, you must pay the property tax with your local county treasurer.
Title and Register a Recently Purchased SC Vehicle
To transfer your title and register your vehicle, visit your local DMV office and provide:
- The current certificate of title that has been signed over to you.
- A completed Title Application (SCDMV 400).
- A receipt for the property tax paid to your county treasurer.
- A signed bill of sale or buyer’s order.
- Title and registration fees.
- The infrastructure maintenance fee (if you purchased or leased a vehicle from out-of-state).
Title and Register a Vehicle for New South Carolina Residents
When you move to South Carolina from another state, you’ll have to apply for a SC license and transfer your title and registration.
Before visiting the DMV:
- Have your insurance policy transferred to list South Carolina as your state of residence.
- Contact or visit your county auditor’s office and provide your vehicle identification number (VIN) to receive a bill for the property tax.
- Pay the property tax at your county treasurer’s office.
Once you’ve completed the above, visit your local DMV office and provide a(n):
- Completed Title Application (SCDMV 400).
- Insurance company information.
- Your out-of-state certificate of title.
- Driver’s license or other valid ID.
- Power of attorney (if your vehicle is leased).
- Receipt showing you paid the property tax at your county treasurer’s office.
- Payment for the:
- Infrastructure maintenance fee.
- Registration fee.
- Title fee.
South Carolina Title and Registration Fees
NOTE: County treasurer’s fees may vary.
- Passenger cars: $40.
- Electric vehicles: $120.
- Hybrid vehicles: $60.
- Motorcycle/Moped: $10.
Check the SC DMV website for a complete list of vehicle types and registration costs.
- Title: $15.
- Infrastructure maintenance fee: $250.