The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) allows customers to schedule driving test appointments online as well as complete a number of tasks that do not require a trip to a driver licensing center.
If you need to visit a licensing center, try contacting them by phone to see if they allow reservations.
Completing DMV business online saves time and keeps crowds down in your local office. Many common tasks can be done online, including:
- Renewing your driver’s license or photo ID.
- Replacing your license or state ID.
- Renewing your vehicle registration.
- Obtaining a duplicate registration.
- Changing your address.
- Ordering your driver history.
- Paying fines and penalties.
There are many more tasks that don’t require a trip to the DMV.
If you need to visit a licensing office, planning the right time to make your trip will save you from waiting in a long line. Keep in mind that:
- Mondays and Fridays are usually busier than the middle of the week.
- The first and last days of the month are often crowded.
- Days immediately before and after a holiday have lots of DMV visitors.
- Lunch hours and evenings are usually more crowded than mornings. Also, make sure you leave yourself enough time to get there and complete your transaction (especially if you’re taking a test).