Pennsylvania REAL ID
Not everyone needs a federally accepted REAL ID, but you should consider getting one if you plan to:
- Fly (even on domestic flights).
- Enter nuclear power plants.
- Enter federal facilities.
Beginning on October 1, 2021, you’ll still be able to use your U.S. passport but you will NOT be able to use a state ID or driver’s license to do any of the above.
PA REAL IDs are marked with a gold star in the upper-right corner.
Obtaining a REAL ID costs a one-time fee of $30 + the applicable license or ID fee. Upgrading to a REAL ID will extend the expiration date of your photo ID or non-commercial license an additional 4 years.
If you wish to upgrade a PA commercial driver’s license (CDL) to a REAL ID, you must:
- Wait until the renewal period begins (3 months before expiration) and pay the $30 REAL ID fee + the CDL renewal fee.
- Upgrade BEFORE the renewal period and pay the $30 REAL ID fee and a duplicate CDL fee. This option DOES NOT extend your expiration date.
PA REAL ID Online Pre-Verification
If you obtained your first Pennsylvania license or ID after September 2003, you may be eligible to pre-verify your REAL ID online. First, make sure your correct address is on file with the DMV. If not, you can change your address online.
Use the PennDOT online portal and provide your:
- License or ID number.
- Date of birth.
- Last 4 digits of your social security number (SSN).
If the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has your required documents on file already, you can pay the applicable fee and receive your REAL ID compliant card by mail within 15 days.
Pennsylvania REAL ID Checklist
Unless you got your FIRST Pennsylvania ID or driver’s license AFTER September 2003 obtaining a PA REAL ID requires a trip to your local licensing office.
There, you must provide*:
- Proof of Identity. This may include:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Social security card. If you’ve misplaced or destroyed your card, order a duplicate from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- 2 documents to prove your Pennsylvania residency. This may include:
- Photo ID or driver’s license.
- Utility bill.
- Mortgage or lease agreements.
- Proof of your name, gender, or date of birth change (if applicable). This may include your:
- Court-issued marriage certificate.
- Divorce certificate.
- Amended birth certificate with court seal.
- Completed Request for Gender Change on Driver’s License or Identification Card (DL-32) form.
- Payment for the fee.
*Find a complete list of accepted documents on the PennDOT website.
PA REAL ID Fees
Obtaining a REAL ID for the first time costs a one-time $30 fee plus the applicable renewal or license/ID fee. For example, renewing a 4-year license and applying for a REAL ID costs ($35 + $30) = $65.
The fees listed below are the total amount owed if this is your FIRST REAL ID. If you already have a REAL ID and are renewing your card, check the page on PA license renewal for your applicable fees.
- First REAL ID-compliant non-driver ID: $61.50.
- REAL ID-compliant photo ID renewal: $61.50.
- First 4-year REAL ID-compliant license: $65.
- First 4-year REAL ID-compliant motorcycle license: $75.
- 4-year REAL ID-compliant license renewal: $65.
- 4-year REAL ID-compliant license renewal with motorcycle endorsement: $60.50.
- First 2-year REAL ID-compliant license (for drivers 65 or older): $55.
- First 2-year REAL ID-compliant motorcycle license (65 and older): $65.
- 2-year REAL ID-compliant license renewal (65 and older): $50.
- 2-year REAL ID-compliant license renewal with motorcycle endorsement (65 and older): $60.
Commercial driver’s licenses (CDL):
- REAL ID-compliant 4-year CDL renewal: $128.50.
- REAL ID-compliant 4-year CDL with HAZMAT endorsement renewal: $145.50.
- REAL ID-compliant 4-year CDL with motorcycle endorsement renewal: $148.50.
- REAL ID-compliant 4-year CDL with motorcycle and HAZMAT endorsement renewal: $165.50.
- REAL ID-compliant 2-year CDL renewal (65 and older): $84.
- REAL ID compliant 2-year CDL with HAZMAT endorsement renewal (65 and older): $101.
- REAL ID-compliant 2-year CDL renewal with motorcycle endorsement (65 and older): $94.
- REAL ID-compliant 2-year CDL renewal with motorcycle and HAZMAT endorsements (65 and older): $111.
- REAL ID-compliant CDL upgrade (non-renewal): $60.50.
- REAL ID-compliant CDL upgrade with motorcycle endorsement (non-renewal): $65.50.