Save time at the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicles office by booking an appointment in advance.
There are 2 ways to make an appointment at your local DMV office. You can book a reservation:
- By phone.
To schedule an appointment online:
- Use the Oregon DMV online portal.
- Select the reason for your visit.
- Choose a date and time and provide your contact information.
You can also use the same portal to modify or cancel your appointment.
The DMV prefers that you use the online system to book your appointment but you can still make an appointment over the phone simply by calling your local DMV office if you are outside Salem or Portland.
- Salem residents call: (503) 945-5000.
- Portland residents call: (503) 299-9999.
Your DMV task may not require a visit to your local office -- many common tasks can be completed online. You can use the Oregon DMV website to:
- Replace your driver’s license.
- Renew your vehicle registration.
- Replace your registration
- Purchase your driving record.
- Change your address.
If you can’t complete your DMV business online, you can still save time by picking the right time for your visit. Consider avoiding:
- The first and last days of the month.
- Days immediately before or after holidays.
- Mondays and Fridays (the middle of the week is usually less crowded).
- Lunch time and evenings. It’s especially important to give yourself enough time to complete lengthy transactions before the DMV closes (like taking a license exam).