Renew Vehicle Registration in Oregon
You can renew your Oregon vehicle registration:
- By mail.
- At a Department of Environment Quality (DEQ) office*.
You can renew your vehicle registration up to 1 year after your registration expires with the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicles (DMV) department. However, you can be penalized for driving a vehicle with expired tags.
Before you renew your Oregon car registration, make sure your current address is on file with the DMV. If not, you can change your address online.
*DEQ emissions tests are only required for vehicles more than 4 years old.
Renew OR Vehicle Registration Online
Renew your Oregon registration by visiting the DMV online portal and clicking “Renew Your Registration.”
If you have an Oregon license/permit/ID, you must provide your:
- Last name.
- Date of birth.
- Zip code.
- License or ID number.
- Last 6 digits of your social security number.
If you don’t have a form of Oregon ID card, provide the following information (all can be found on your registration card):
- Plate number.
- Title number.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
Provide your payment information and your new registration card and plate decals should arrive within 2 weeks (usually they arrive within 3 business days). Contact the DMV if it takes longer but do NOT cancel your check.
Renew Oregon Registration by Mail
You can renew your Oregon vehicle registration by:
- Getting a vehicle inspection from a DEQ office if your vehicle model is more than 4 years old (from the date of expiration).
- Completing the form included with your renewal notice OR an Application for Registration, Renewal, Replacement or Transfer of Plates and/or Stickers (DMV-735-268).
- Writing a check or money order payable to the “DMV” for the amount owed.
Mail your check, form, and inspection receipt to:
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Renew Oregon Registration at a DEQ Office
You may be able to renew your registration when you get your emissions test if you:
- Provide a completed renewal form.
- Pass the emissions exam.
- Do NOT need to update your address.
- Pay the registration renewal fee when you complete the inspection.
Oregon Registration Renewal Fees
Registration renewal fees are based on the age and MPG of the vehicle.
- 1999 or older: $122.
- 2000 or newer with an MPG of 0-19: $122.
- 2000 or newer with an MPG of 20-39: $132.
- 2000 or newer with an MPG of 40 or higher: $152.
- Electric vehicles: $306.
There are additional fees for certain counties. Vehicles in:
- Multnomah County are subject to an additional county fee of $38.
- Washington or Clackamas County are subject to an additional county fee of $60.