REAL ID in Oregon
The Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicles (DMV) office began issuing REAL ID compliant licenses and photo IDs in July 2020. Starting on October 1, 2021 you will need a passport or REAL ID to:
- Board a plane (even for domestic flights).
- Enter a nuclear power plant.
- Enter federal facilities.
Oregon REAL IDs have a star in the upper right-corner of the front of the card.
The REAL ID Act was passed by congress in 2005 to ramp up security measures in the United States. Obtaining a REAL ID for the first time requires more proof than a standard ID or license and a trip to the Oregon DMV.
Oregon REAL ID Requirements
Obtaining a REAL ID in Oregon requires visiting your local DMV office. Consider making an appointment before your trip.
If you choose to upgrade to a REAL ID earlier than 1 year before expiration of your current card, you will be charged for a replacement license or ID fee and your license or ID will NOT be renewed.
Visit the DMV with*:
- Proof of Identity. This can be your:
- U.S. passport.
- U.S. birth certificate.
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Proof of social security number (SSN). This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 or 1099 tax form.
- 2 documents that prove your Oregon residency. This can include your:
- License or ID that has not expired more than a year.
- Utility statement.
- Document issued by an insurance company or educational institution.
- Proof of name change (if applicable). This can be a:
- Marriage or divorce certificate.
- Death certificate of a spouse.
- Court-issued adoption decree.
- Payment for the applicable license or ID fee.
*The Oregon DMV has a complete list of acceptable documents.
Oregon REAL ID Fees
The fee for a REAL ID is an additional $30 added to the cost of your license or ID. This fee will be owed each time your REAL ID is renewed.
- First-time driver’s license: $60 + $30 REAL ID fee = $90.
- Renew a non-commercial license: $40 + $30 REAL ID fee = $70.
- Renew a non-commercial license with motorcycle endorsement: $68 + $30 REAL ID fee = $98.
- Renew a non-driver ID: $40.50 + $30 REAL ID fee = $70.50.
- Renew a commercial license: $61 + $30 REAL ID fee = $91.
- Renew a moped license: $40 + $30 REAL ID fee = $70.
If you upgrade to a REAL ID earlier than 1 year before your card expires, you will be charged for a replacement card AND the REAL ID fee. NOTE: replacing your card will NOT extend the expiration date.
- Replace a non-commercial license: $26.00 + $30 REAL ID fee = $56.
- Replace a moped license: $26.00 + $30 REAL ID fee = $56.
- Replace a non-driver ID: $39.50 + $30 REAL ID fee = $69.50.