Renew Your Virginia License or ID
There are several ways to renew your Virginia driver’s license or photo ID. You can renew:
- By mail (driver’s license only).
- At a customer service center.
If you wish to apply for a REAL ID when you renew, visit our page on Virginia REAL ID for more instructions.
Requirements to Renew Your VA License Online or by Mail
Before you renew your Virginia license, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements. To renew a VA license online or by mail, you must:
- Be under 75 years old.
- A VA license (not a learner’s permit).
- Completed your last renewal in person.
- A Virginia address.
- A social security number (SSN) that matches the SSN on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- A photo on your current license.
- A license that expires within the next 12 months.
- Passed your last vision screening at the DMV.
- Have moved out-of-state and obtained a license there since the last time you held a valid VA license.
- Hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL) OR a license with a school bus endorsement.
- Have a suspended or revoked license.
- Owe money to the DMV for another transaction.
- Be required to take a written or knowledge exam.
- Be restricted to daylight driving only.
- Wish to have a restriction removed from your license.
- Need to change your name on your driver’s license.
- Need verification on your license number.
- Be required to prove your legal presence.
- Be under medical review.
Requirements to Renew Your VA Photo ID Online
You can renew your non-driver ID card online or by mail as long as you(r):
- DMV customer number does NOT need to be verified.
- Are a VA resident or qualify for a Virginia Address Requirement Exception.
- Renewed your last ID card at a customer service center.
- Are 18 years old or older.
- Current ID has NOT expired but will expire within 6 months.
- Name on your current ID is correct.
- Do NOT:
- Owe money to the DMV.
- Need to prove your legal U.S. presence.
- Need a new photo taken.
Renew Virginia ID or License Online
Renewing online will save you $1. To renew online, simply visit the DMV online portal and enter your:
- License or ID card number.
- Date of birth.
- Credit card information for payment.
Renew Virginia License by Mail
NOTE: ID card renewal by mail is NOT a service offered by the VA DMV.
You should receive a renewal notice shortly before your current license expires. To renew by mail:
- Review the information and correct any incorrect information that may be on your current license (name change requires an in-person renewal).
- Fill out the form enclosed with the notice.
- Include payment for the renewal fee.
- Mail your items to:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 26506
Richmond, VA 23260
Renew Your Virginia License or ID in Person
If you need to renew your license or ID in person, consider making an appointment beforehand.
To renew at a customer service center, visit your local office and provide your:
- Completed Driver License and Identification Card Application (DL 1P).
- Proof of legal presence (if your current license or ID has expired).* This may include your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Current ID card.
- Payment for the renewal fee. The DMV accepts:
- Check or money order.
- Major credit cards.
- Check cards.
You will likely have to have your photo taken and thumbprint taken.
Non-excepted CDL driver’s may have to show proof of medical certification.
*The Virginia DMV has a complete list of acceptable documents.
Virginia License and ID Renewal Fees
- License fee: $20 to $32 (license costs $4 per year with 5-year minimum).
- State ID: $10 to $16 (ID costs $2 per year with 5-year minimum).
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL): $64 (CDL costs $8 per year with 8-year maximum).