REAL ID in Virginia
By October 2021, you’ll need a REAL ID or passport to do certain tasks you may be used to doing with an ordinary license or ID. These include:
- Boarding a flight (even domestic travel).
- Entering certain federal facilities.
- Entering a nuclear power plant.
VA REAL ID cards have a star in the upper-right corner.
If you want to get a VA REAL ID, you’ll need to visit a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
How to Obtain a Virginia REAL ID
To get your REAL ID in Virginia for the first time, you’ll need to visit your local DMV office or mobile location. However, you can get a head start by beginning your application online before you make your trip.
Consider making an appointment with the DMV to spend less time in line.
At the DMV office, provide*:
- Proof of identity and legal presence. This may include your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship.
- Unexpired permanent resident card.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 form.
- Paycheck stub with your full name and social security number (SSN) printed on it.
- Proof of Virginia residency (2 documents required). This may include your:
- Rental/lease agreement, mortgage statement, deed, etc.
- Utility bill that is no more than 2 months old.
- U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation form.
- Payment for the applicable fee.
*The Virginia DMV website has a complete list of acceptable documents.
VA REAL ID Fees
To get a REAL ID credential on your license or ID, there is a one-time fee of $10 added to your normal license or ID transaction. For example, if you apply for a REAL ID when you renew your 8-year Virginia license, you’ll be charged $42 (the $32 license fee + the $10 REAL ID fee).
- License fee (renewal or original) + first-time REAL ID fee: $30 to $42 (license costs $4 per year with 5-year minimum).
- State ID (renewal or original) + first-time REAL ID fee: $20 to $26 (ID costs $2 per year with 5-year minimum).
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (renewal or original) + first-time REAL ID fee: $30 to $74 (CDL costs $8 per year with 8-year maximum).
- Replacement license or ID (any class) + first-time REAL ID fee: $30.
Once you’ve obtained your REAL ID for the first time, you won’t have to pay the REAL ID fee with any other VA license or ID transactions.