Renew Tennessee Driver’s License or ID
Keeping a valid TN license or ID is important. You can renew:
- By mail.
- In person.
Tennessee licenses and IDs are valid for 8 years. IDs for people under 18 years old are valid for 2 years.
If you wish to obtain a REAL ID, check the page on TN REAL ID for instructions.
Renew TN License or ID Online
The quickest way to renew your license is online. To renew online, visit the Driver Services online portal and:
- Login by providing your:
- Last name.
- License or ID number.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Follow the instructions to complete the transaction.
- Provide your credit/debit card information for payment of the renewal fees.
Your new license or ID will arrive by mail.
Tennessee License or ID Renewal by Mail
You can also renew your Tennessee license or ID by mail. You should receive a renewal notice in the mail prior to your license expiration. To renew by mail:
- Complete the form provided with your renewal notice.
- Provide a check for the applicable fee.
- Mail your items to the address provided on the notice.
After the licensing office processes your renewal, they will send your new ID or license to your address.
Renew TN License or ID in Person
You may have to renew in person if you hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or temporary license.
To renew in person, simply visit your local licensing office with your current license or ID.
If you hold a CDL, you must provide your current medical certification card to renew.
Temporary license holders must bring:
- A document to prove your permanent or temporary legal U.S. presence.
- 2 documents to prove Tennessee residency.
Tennessee License and ID Renewal Fees
- Standard license: $28.00
- Motorcycle license: $29.00
- Non-driver ID (18 years old or older): $12.00
- Non-driver ID (under 18 years old): $5.00
- CDL Class A: $70.00
- CDL Class B and C: $62.00