Tennessee REAL ID
Tennessee residents are NOT required to obtain a REAL ID. However, a federally accepted ID (such as a REAL ID or passport) will soon be required to:
- Board a domestic flight.
- Enter nuclear power plants.
- Enter certain federal facilities.
REAL IDs have a star in the corner.
REAL ID Requirements in Tennessee
If you wish to obtain a REAL ID, you’ll need to visit your local licensing office and provide:
- Proof of identity. This may include your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship.
- Proof of Tennessee residency (2 documents required). These items MUST be dated within the past 4 months and may include your:
- Utility bill.
- Vehicle registration.
- Bank statement.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- W-2 or 1099 tax form.
- Social security card.
- Proof of name change (if applicable). This may include your:
- Marriage certificate or divorce decree.
- Court-issued document.
- Payment for the applicable fee.
*The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security provides a complete list of accepted documents.
TN REAL ID Fees
There is NO additional fee for upgrading to a REAL ID, unless you do so outside your renewal window, in which case you will be charged for a duplicate and your license or ID expiration date will NOT be extended.
Renewal fees are as follows:
- Standard license: $28.00
- Motorcycle license: $29.00
- Non-driver ID (18 years old or older): $12.00
- Non-driver ID (under 18 years old): $5.00
- CDL Class A: $70.00
- CDL Class B and C: $62.00
- 1st replacement ID or license: $6.00
- 2nd replacement ID or license: $10.00