Renew Ohio Driver’s License or ID
Keeping a valid ID or license in Ohio is important for many reasons. Most licenses or IDs expire every 4 years.
You can renew a license up to 6 months after expiration. After this, you will be required to retake exams.
If you renew:
- Within 90 days before expiration, your license will expire in 4 years.
- More than 90 days before expiration, your license will expire in 3 years. If you are turning 21 years old, you may NOT renew more than 30 days before your current license expires.
NOTE: See the page on obtaining a REAL ID if you wish to apply for one when you renew.
How to Renew an Ohio License or ID
To renew your OH license or ID, visit your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) licensing office and provide payment for the applicable fee and your:
- Current or expired license.
- Proof of your*:
- Full legal name.
- Lawful presence.
- Social security.
- Ohio residency.
Commercial drivers may also have to provide proof of medical certification.
*The BMV provides a complete list of acceptable documents.
Ohio License and ID Renewal Fees
- Driver’s license renewal: $27.25
- Non-driver ID renewal: $10.00
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) renewal: $46.25