Renew New Jersey Driver’s License
There are two ways to renew your New Jersey driver’s license or photo ID. Renew your NJ license:
- At a Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office.
If you are eligible, you must renew online. However, if you decide to request a REAL ID for the first time, you must do so in person.
Renew Your New Jersey License Online
You can renew your New Jersey license or state ID online if you(r):
- Address on file is accurate (you can update your address online before renewing).
- Current ID photo is no more than 4 years old.
- Are not applying for a REAL ID for the first time.
You MUST renew your New Jersey driver’s license online if you are eligible.
To renew your NJ license or ID online, visit the MVC online portal and provide your:
- Zip code.
- Driver’s license number.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Email address.
- Credit card information for payment. The MVC accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards.
Your renewal will be effective immediately. Once you complete the transaction, print the temporary license and keep it with you when you drive. It will take approximately 10-20 days to receive your license in the mail.
Renew a New Jersey License In Person
If you are ineligible to renew your license or ID online, you’ll have to renew at your local MVC office.
There, you’ll have to provide:
- 6 points of ID. This means you must have:
- At least 1 primary document (such as your current NJ driver’s license).
- At least 1 secondary document (e.g. a court-issued marriage certificate).
- A completed Application for Permit/License/Non-Driver ID (BA-208).
- Payment for the license renewal fee plus the fees for additional endorsements if applicable.
After taking your photo, the MVC will issue you your new license or ID.
New Jersey License Renewal Fees
- Driver’s license renewal: $24.
- New Jersey non-driver ID renewal: $24.
- Endorsement fee: $2.