New Jersey REAL ID
On October 1, 2021, the federal government will begin requiring either a passport or REAL ID to:
- Board a commercial aircraft (even for domestic flights).
- Enter a federal facility.
- Enter nuclear power plants.
A New Jersey REAL ID will be marked with a gold star in the upper right corner.
To get your New Jersey REAL ID, you’ll need to provide the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) with additional documents next time you renew your license or ID card. You can apply for your REAL ID up to 3 months before your current license or ID expires.
There is no additional fee to upgrade your current license or ID to a REAL ID at renewal in New Jersey.
How to Get a REAL ID in New Jersey
To get your New Jersey REAL ID, visit your local MVC licensing center and provide*:
- Proof of Identity. This may include your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 form issued within the last year.
- Pay stub that includes your full name and social security number (SSN).
- Proof of residency. You will need 2 documents to prove your New Jersey Residency. This may include your:
- Valid New Jersey license or ID.
- A utility or credit card bill issued within the last 90 days.
- Any correspondence received from the IRS within the last year.
- The 6 points of ID you’re required to show at the MVC for most standard transactions (the documents you’ve already provided may count toward this).
- Payment for the license or ID fee.
*The MVC has an intuitive checklist for obtaining your REAL ID that contains all acceptable documents.
New Jersey REAL ID Fees
There is no additional fee associated with applying for a New Jersey REAL ID vs. a standard NJ license or ID.
- New Jersey driver’s license: $24.
- NJ non-operator’s license: $24.
- Endorsements: $2.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL): $42.