REAL ID for New Jersey Residents
New Jersey REAL ID
The id with the gold star in the upper right corner is a New Jersey Real ID. If you don't have one, you should get one before May 7, 2025, when the federal government will begin requiring either a passport or REAL ID to:
- Board a commercial aircraft (even for domestic flights).
- Enter a federal facility.
- Enter nuclear power plants.
A New Jersey REAL ID will be marked with a gold star in the upper right corner.
To get your New Jersey REAL ID, you must provide the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) with additional documents the next time you renew your license or ID card. You can apply for your REAL ID up to 3 months before your license or ID expires.
How much does an NJ Real ID Cost?
It costs $11 more to upgrade your current license or ID to a REAL ID at renewal in New Jersey.
- Standard NJ license/ID costs $24, and a REAL ID costs $35
To upgrade your license before your renewal date, there is an $11 fee, but you keep your same renewal date. If you wait until renewal it will cost the same amount but for 4 years.
What's the cost of renewing an NJ Real ID?
It costs $35 every four years to renew your New Jersey Driver's License with Real-ID.
How to Get a REAL ID in New Jersey
To get your New Jersey REAL ID, you should make an NJMCV Appointment at your local MVC licensing center and provide*:
- Proof of Identity. This may include your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 form issued within the last year.
- Pay stub that includes your full name and social security number (SSN).
- Proof of residency. You will need 2 documents to prove your New Jersey Residency. This may include your:
- Valid New Jersey license or ID.
- A utility or credit card bill issued within the last 90 days.
- Any correspondence received from the IRS within the last year.
- The 6 points of ID you’re required to show at the MVC for most standard transactions (the documents you’ve already provided may count toward this).
- Payment for the license or ID fee.
*The MVC has an intuitive checklist for obtaining your REAL ID that contains all acceptable documents.
New Jersey REAL ID Fees
There is an $11 fee associated with applying for a New Jersey REAL ID vs. a standard NJ license or ID.
- New Jersey driver’s license: $24.
- New Jersey Drivers License with Real ID: $35 (4 year expiration date)
- NJ non-operator’s license: $24.
- Endorsements: $2.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL): $42.