DMV Appointments in North Dakota
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT) allows customers to save time at the driver license or motor vehicle office by booking an appointment in advance.
To book one of these appointments, visit the DOT online portal and:
- Choose between a motor vehicle or driver licensing office.
- Select the office.
- Choose a date and time.
- Enter your name and choose the reason for your visit.
- Confirm your appointment.
Best Times to Visit a Driver License Site
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, you can do so by using the same portal and entering the pin that was given to you when you confirmed your appointment.
You may also be able to schedule an appointment by calling (855) 633-6835 or by calling your local branch office.
Best Times to Visit a DOT Office in North Dakota
Sometimes having to visit a licensing or motor vehicle office is unavoidable. In these cases, you may be able to save time by avoiding:
- Lunch and evening hours.
- First and last days of the month.
- Days immediately before and after holidays.
- Mondays and Fridays.
Scheduling Appointments and Other Online Services
- To schedule a road test to earn a North Dakota driver’s license you can make an appointment with the online scheduling system. https://apps.nd.gov/dot/dlts/dlos/scheduleWelcome.htm
- Drivers must go to an ND DOT office to renew their driver’s license. However you can make an appointment https://booknow.securedata-trans.com/40pdg12e/10 in advance to ensure that you are in and out of the office as quickly as possible
- For vehicle registration renewal, you can go also online https://apps.nd.gov/dot/mv/mvrenewal/renewal.htm to complete the renewal process. You will need your existing registration card or renewal notice and a credit card.
- For first time vehicle registrations you must take the completed registration application http://www.dot.nd.gov/forms/SFN02872.pdf along with the title and applicable fees to an ND DOT office. You can use the online fee calculator https://apps.nd.gov/dot/mv/mvrenewal/feeCalc.htm to determine your costs to register.
- If your license has been lost or stolen you must go to a Drivers License Site with the appropriate documentation.
- To change your name on your license you will need to make a trip to a Drivers License Site and present any legal documents proving name change along with the $3 fee.
- If you have recently moved, you can report a change of address online. https://apps.nd.gov/dot/dlts/dlos/addressWelcome.htm You will not receive an actual new license until you renew. There is also a link at the end of the process to change of address for vehicle registrations. Or you can complete the vehicle registration change of address separately here. https://apps.nd.gov/dot/mv/mvrenewal/addresschange.htm
- To request a driver record, go online here. https://apps.nd.gov/dot/dlts/dlos/welcome.htm to receive a limited driving record. Copies of the full driving record must be ordered through the mail for $3.
- You may also update your organ donor status online. https://apps.nd.gov/dot/dlts/dlos/donorChange.htm
North Dakota DOT Appointments
Save time at the North Dakota Department of Transportation by scheduling an appointment https://apps.nd.gov/dot/dlts/dlos/scheduleWelcome.htm to take a driving test. Many other functions can also completed online. You may be able to skip an entire trip to the ND DOT office by following the links to complete certain transactions.