The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) allows customers to schedule road test exams and REAL ID appointments on the Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) website.
Currently, REAL ID appointments are only offered at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP).
You may also call (651) 284-1234 to schedule a road test.
To schedule an appointment for either a road test or to obtain a REAL ID, you must:
- Visit the DVS website and click “online services.”
- Choose “Schedule or Reschedule a Driving Exam” or “Apply for a REAL ID at MSP Airport Terminal 1.”
- Provide the requested information. This may include your:
- License, permit, or ID number.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Contact information and address.
Make your selection from the available locations, dates, and times.
You may also use the same portal to cancel or reschedule existing appointments.
Unfortunately, the DPS does NOT currently allow appointments for other vehicle services.
Many common tasks do NOT require a trip to the local DPS office -- they can be completed online. On the DVS website you can complete the following errands and more:
- Renew your driver’s license or ID.
- Request a duplicate ID.
- Request your driving record.
- Renew your vehicle registration.
- Order a duplicate registration.
- Take a written knowledge exam.
Avoiding a trip to the DPS office saves you time and helps keep crowds down for others.
If you have to visit a DPS office, you can minimize your time waiting in line by choosing the right time for your trip. Consider avoiding:
- Lunch hours and evenings.
- Mondays and Fridays.
- The days before and after national holidays.
- The first and last days of the month.