Renew Driver’s License in Minnesota
There are a few different ways to renew a driver’s license or non-driver ID in Minnesota. Renew your identification:
- By mail (for residents currently out-of-state).
- In person.
Commercial drivers or REAL ID first-time applicants must renew in person. If you are turning 21 you must be within 3 weeks of your birthday to renew.
Renew Minnesota Driver’s License Online
Minnesota driver’s may renew their ID or licenses online provided they do NOT need to change their:
- Name or signature.
- License number.
To renew online, visit the Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) online portal and:
- Click “Apply for or Renew a Driver’s License or State ID.”
- Click “Apply for a Driver's License.”
- Follow the prompts. You’ll need to provide your:
- Driver’s license or ID number.
- Date of birth.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Bank account information for payment.
Once your transaction is completed you will be mailed your new license or ID card.
Renew Minnesota License by Mail
If you are out-of-state, you may renew your MN license by mail. NOTE: You will have to visit a local DVS location within 30 days to have your photo taken. You must email the DPS to request an application packet.
In your email, be sure to include your:
- Full name.
- Mailing address.
Once you’ve received the packet:
- Complete the form and sign and notarize.
- Complete the vision report and have it signed by the examiner (for driver’s licenses only).
- Include a check or money order (checks only for expedited licenses).
- Mail your items to the DVS address provided on your packet.
*NOTE: If you choose to expedite your renewal, you must provide a real address and not a P.O. box, military address, or foreign address.
Renew MN Driver’s License in Person
To renew your driver’s license or non-driver ID in person, visit your local driver’s license office or exam station and provide your:
- Current license or ID (can be up to 5 years expired).
- Proof of legal name change (if applicable). This must be a court-ordered document such as a divorce decree or marriage certificate.
- Payment for your license fee.
You will be asked to complete a vision exam and a renewal application.
Commercial drivers will also be asked to provide medical certification and proof of citizenship.
MN License Renewal Fees
- Class D license: $32.
- Class A license (under 21 years old): $31.
- Class A license (21 and older): $51.
- Class B license: $43.
- Class C license: $36.
- Non-driver ID (under 65 years old): $21.50.
- Non-driver ID (65 and older): $20.75.