Renew Maryland Driver’s License or ID
Maryland driver’s licenses and photo IDs are valid for 5-8 years. A valid driver’s license is required for all Maryland drivers, renew yours up to 6 months before your expiration date.
To convert your Maryland license or ID to a REAL ID, you’ll need to submit documents in person to the Maryland Vehicle Administration (MVA).
If eligible, renew your MD license or ID:
- Online or at an MVA kiosk.
- By mail.
- In person at an MVA office.
If you’re under 40 and eligible for online or mail-in renewal, you are NOT permitted to renew in person.
If you did NOT renew in person the last time you renewed, you MUST renew in person.
Renew Maryland License Online or at an MVA Kiosk
When you receive your renewal notice in the mail, it will say whether you have the option to renew your license or ID online or at a self-service MVA kiosk.
If necessary, update your address online or at the kiosk before renewing.
To renew online, visit the MVA eStore portal and click:
- Driver’s Licensing Services
- ID Card Services.
You’ll be required to enter your valid email address and phone number to begin renewing your license or ID. The MVA will use this information to contact you in the future.
To renew at an MVA kiosk, visit one of the 24-hour self-service kiosks found at all MVA locations.
When renewing online or through an MVA kiosk, be ready to provide your:
- Driver’s license number.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Street address.
- Payment for the renewal fee. eMVA accepts American Express, MasterCard Discover Card, or Visa. You may also pay online by providing your checking account information.
If you are 40 years old or older, you must take an eye exam issued and submitted by an Authorized Online Vision Certification Provider (exam must be completed and submitted within 1 year prior to renewal).
You should receive your new license or ID within 30 days of completing the transaction. Destroy your old ID when you receive your new card. If you do not receive your new ID or license within 30 days, contact the MVA by calling 1-410-768-7000. If you are hearing impaired, call 1-800-492-4575.
Renew Maryland License by Mail
Your renewal letter will tell you if you are able to renew your Maryland driver’s license of photo ID by mail. Renew your license no later than 15 days before it expires to receive your new license in time.
NOTE: If you must change your address, do so online before renewing your Maryland ID or license by mail.
You are ineligible to renew your license by mail if:
- You’ve been diagnosed with a mental or physical disability (excluding vision) that could affect your ability to drive.
- You hold a:
- Commercial driver’s license.
- Learner’s permit.
- Non-photo ID.
- You DID NOT renew your previous license or ID in person.
To renew by mail:
- Complete the form included with your renewal notice.
- Have your doctor complete and sign the Vision Screening Form (DL-043A) and include it with your application*.
- Include a check or money order for the required amount made out to “MVA.”
- Use the included pre-addressed envelope to mail your items.
If accepted, you’ll receive your new license or ID in the mail. If the MVA denies your application it will return all documents and you’ll be required to renew in person.
Renew MD License In Person
If you are ineligible to renew online, at a kiosk, or by mail, you must renew your ID or license at your local MVA office. Please note that if you are eligible to renew using any other method, your application will be denied. Your renewal options will be listed with the notice you received in the mail.
If your MD driver’s license has been expired for 1 year or longer, you must complete a written knowledge and driver skills test to renew your license.
To save time at the MVA, schedule an appointment in advance.
Visit your local MVA office and be ready to:
- Your current driver’s license.
- Medical certifcation
- Proof of:
- Maryland residency (2 items)*.
- Social security*.
- Name change (if applicable). You must change your name with the Social Security Administration prior to renewal.
- Take a:
- Vision exam.
- Written and driving skills exam (if applicable).
- Pay the renewal fee.
Maryland License Renewal Fees
- Driver’s license renewal: $6 per year*.
- State ID (new or renewal):
- Under 18 years old: $15.
- 18 years old and older: $24.
- 65 years old or older: No fee.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) renewal or conversion: $50. CDLs are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
*If you are 21 years old or older, your ID will be valid for 5-8 years (expiration year is randomly generated).