REAL ID in Illinois
Illinois residents are NOT required to obtain a REAL ID. However, in the near future, you’ll need a REAL ID or other federally accepted ID (such as a passport) to:
- Board a domestic flight.
- Enter a nuclear power plant.
- Enter certain federal facilities.
REAL IDs have a gold star in the upper-right corner.
Obtaining a REAL ID for the first time requires visiting a Secretary of State (SOS) office. Consider making an appointment beforehand.
Illinois REAL ID Requirements
To obtain a REAL ID in Illinois, visit your local SOS office and provide*:
- Proof of identity. This may include a:
- S. birth certificate.
- S. passport.
- I-94 and permanent resident card or foreign passport.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 tax form.
- Proof of IL residency (2 documents required). This may include a:
- Rental agreement.
- Utility bill.
- Bank statement.
- Proof of signature. This may include a(n):
- Illinois ID or driver’s license.
- Credit or debit card.
- Canceled check.
- Proof of name change (if applicable). If the name on your identity document does not match your other documents you must also provide a:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Adoption document or other court-issued proof of name change.
- Payment for the license or ID fee.
After the transaction is completed, your new ID will be mailed to your address within 15 days.
*Check the SOS website for a full intuitive checklist of accepted documents.
IL REAL ID Fees
There are no additional fees associated with a REAL ID compared to a standard ID or license.
- Non-driver ID (under 18 years old): $5.
- Non-driver ID (between 18 and 64 years old): $20.
- Non-driver ID (65 years old and older): Free.
- Disabled non-driver ID:
- Homeless non-driver ID:
- License for drivers 18 to 20 years old: $5.
- License for drivers 21 to 68 years old: $30.
- License for drivers 69 to 80 years old: $5.
- License for drivers 81 to 86 years old: $2.
- License for drivers 87 years old or older:
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL): $50.