Iowa Driver’s License Renewal
There are several options for renewing your Iowa driver’s license or state ID card. You can renew:
*If eligible. See requirements below.
Renew Iowa License Online
To renew your Iowa driver’s license or ID card online, you must meet all the following requirements:
- You must:
- Be a U.S. citizen and Iowa resident.
- Be between 18 and 70 years old.
- Hold a noncommercial automotive or motorcycle license.
- Have renewed your license in person last time.
- NOT require a medical, vision, knowledge, or skills examination.
- NOT be applying for a REAL ID for the first time.
- Your license must:
- Expire within 180 days of today’s date OR have expired no more than 1 year and 60 days ago.
- NOT be marked “Valid Without Photo.”
- NOT have restrictions E, G, J, T, Q, or R (will be listed on the back).
- NOT require changes to your name, address, personal information, class type, endorsements, or restrictions.
To renew your Iowa license or ID online, visit the Department of Transportation (DOT) license renewal portal and be ready to provide:
- The last 5 digits of your social security number (SSN).
- Your driver’s license number.
- Credit card information for your renewal payment and the $1.50 online service fee.
NOTE: If you renew online you will NOT receive a temporary Iowa driver’s license or ID card immediately. You should receive your new ID by mail in 3 weeks. After 21 days, if you have not received your license or ID, call (515) 244-8725.
Renew Iowa Driver’s License at a Self-Service Kiosk
You’re eligible to renew your Iowa license or ID at one of the state’s self-service kiosks if you(r):
- Are between 18 and 70 years old.
- Do NOT need to make changes to your name, address, personal information, or the restrictions, class type, and endorsements on your license.
- Are an Iowa resident and U.S. citizen.
- Are NOT applying for a REAL ID for the first time.
- License was renewed in person last time.
- License expires within 180 days of today’s date OR has expired no more than 1 year and 60 days ago.
Be ready to provide your:
- Current driver’s license or ID.
- SSN and address for confirmation.
- Credit card for payment. These kiosks accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover.
Renew Iowa License In Person at an Issuance Office
If you are not eligible to renew online or at a self-service kiosk, or if you prefer to handle your transaction in person, you can still renew your Iowa driver’s license of ID card at your local DOT service center.
To save time, consider making an appointment for your DOT visit.
When you renew in person, you may be asked to:
- Take a:
- Vision exam.
- Competency test to reinstate your license or remove restrictions (if applicable).
- Your current driver’s license or ID.
- Medical certification (for non-excepted commercial drivers).
- Payment for the renewal fee.
*If you wish to apply for a REAL ID for the first time, additional documentation WILL BE required.
Iowa License Renewal Fees
- Non-operator’s ID card: $8 (valid for 8 years).
- Class C standard driver’s license: $4 per year (expiration is based on age).
- Class D chauffeur’s license: $8 per year (reference expiration chart).
- Motorcycle endorsement: $2 per year (expires with license).
- Motorcycle only license:
- $48 for 8 years (under 72 years old).
- $12 (72 years old and over).
- Commercial driver’s license:
- $64 for 8 years (under 72 years old).
- $16 for 2 years (72 years old and over).