Georgia REAL ID Requirements
By October 2021, you will need a federally accepted REAL ID or passport to:
- Board a plane (even for domestic flights).
- Enter a nuclear facility.
- Enter certain federal facilities.
However, it’s not mandatory to have a REAL ID to drive a car or perform any of the other tasks you normally use your ID for.
Not sure if you already have a REAL ID? Check the upper-right corner for a black or gold star. Either color means you have a REAL ID.
To obtain a REAL ID, you’ll need to visit a Department of Driver Services (DDS) office and present documentation. Consider making an appointment to save time.
Obtain a REAL ID in GA
To apply for a Georgia REAL ID, you must visit your local DDS office and provide*:
- Proof of Identity. This may include your:
- S. passport.
- S. birth certificate.
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- W-2 or 1099 tax form.
- Proof of GA residency (2 documents). Thesemay include your
- Monthly mortgage statement.
- Rental or lease agreement.
- Postmarked mail delivered by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS).
- Bank statements.
- Payment for the applicable fee.
*The Georgia DDS website has a complete list of acceptable documents. Non-citizens will require more documentation to prove identity AND lawful presence.
REAL ID Fees in Georgia
There is no additional fee to get a REAL ID in Georgia. Standard renewal or duplicate ID rates apply.
- ID card: $32.
- Driver’s license: $32.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL): $32.