Renew Connecticut Registration
It is illegal to drive in Connecticut on an expired registration. Registration for most Connecticut drivers expires every 2 years. You should receive a renewal notice in the mail about 45 days before your registration expires.
There are several ways to renew your Connecticut vehicle registration through the CT Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can renew:
- By mail.
- In person at a DMV office or select express offices.
Renew CT Vehicle Registration Online
The quickest way to renew your Connecticut car registration is online. If your vehicle registration has yet to expire OR expired 30 days or less ago, you can renew online as long as you have one of the following classes of vehicle:
- Camp trailer.
- Commercial vehicle (with some exceptions).
To renew online:
- Visit the CT DMV online portal.
- Select individual OR business.
- Provide your:
- Personal identification number (PIN) (found on your registration renewal notice) OR your name as it appears on your driver’s license.
- Date of birth.
- Secretary of State number (for businesses only).
- Debit/credit card for payment. The DMV accepts:
Renew Connecticut Car Registration by Mail
To renew your vehicle registration by mail, simply:
- Complete the form attached to the registration renewal notice you received in the mail.
- Provide payment for your registration renewal fee.
- Mail your items to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 150456
Hartford, CT 06115-0456
Renew CT Registration in Person
- Driver’s license.
- Current registration or registration renewal notice.
- Secretary of State number (for organizations only).
- Payment for the registration renewal fee.
Connecticut Registration Renewal Fees
The following renewal fees are for passenger vehicles. For other vehicles see the fee schedule on the DMV website.
- Late registration fee (fee is incurred 5 days after expiration): $10.
- 2-year renewal fee: $80.
- 1-year renewal fee (optional for drivers 65 years old and older): $45.
- Clean air act fee: $10 (paid every renewal).
- Passport to parks fee: $5 per year ($10 for 2 years).