Alabama REAL ID Requirements
REAL IDs or Star IDs are not mandatory for Alabama residents. However, by October 1, 2021, all US citizens will need a passport or REAL ID to:
- Board a plane (even domestic flights).
- Enter federal facilities.
- Enter nuclear power plants.
Getting a REAL ID for the first time in Alabama requires a trip to an Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) licensing office. Once you have a REAL ID you can renew the same way you’d normally renew a license or ID.
Not sure if you have a REAL ID already? Check for a star in the upper-right corner of your card. The star means you have a REAL ID.
Obtain a STAR ID in Alabama
To get a REAL ID in Alabama, you’ll have to present some documents at an ALEA licensing office. Provide*:
- Proof of Identity and legal presence. This may include your:
- S. birth certificate.
- Valid U.S. passport.
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Proof of AL residency (2 documents required). This may include:
- Your current Alabama license or ID.
- Tax return documents from last year.
- Utility bills from within the last 90 days.
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- Pay stub with your full name and social security number (SSN).
- W-2 tax form.
- Proof of name change (if your name does NOT match the names on other documents). This may include your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce certificate.
- Court order for a legal name change.
- Payment for the applicable fee.
*The ALEA website has a complete list of acceptable documents.
Alabama REAL ID fees
Fees may vary between licensing offices. However, the minimum fees are as follows:
- Replacement non-driver ID (if you want your STAR ID before your current card expires)*: $15.
- Replacement AL standard or motorcycle driver’s license (if you want your STAR ID before your current card expires)*: $31.25.
- STAR ID renewal (standard license or non-driver ID): $36.25.
- Class A renewal: $66.25
- Class B renewal: $56.25.
*This option will NOT renew your identification. Your new ID will expire the same day as your current ID.