West Virginia Vehicle Registration Renewal
It’s important to keep your vehicle registration valid through the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Registrations can be renewed for 1 or 2 years at a time. You can renew your registration:
- By mail.
- In person.
You should receive a renewal notice in the mail about 30 days before your registration expires. However, even if you don’t receive one before expiration, you’ll still have to renew in time (or be penalized).
Renew WV Vehicle Registration Online
The easiest way to renew a vehicle registration is online. Visit the DMV online portal and:
- Select your county of residence.
- Provide your license plate number.
- Provide the title number.
- Provide credit or debit card information for payment.
The DMV will mail your new registration document and decal to your address.
Renew West Virginia Registration by Mail
Another way to renew a vehicle registration remotely is by using the postal service. To renew by mail:
- Complete the form attached to your Registration Renewal Notice (DMV-44)
- Enclose a check for the applicable fee.
- Enclose a receipt for payment of the property tax.
- Mail your items to:
P.O. Box 17110
Charleston, WV 25317
You will receive your new registration items in the mail.
In-Person WV Registration Renewal
The final way to renew a vehicle registration is in person either at your local DMV office or at your county sheriff’s office (select counties only). There, you must provide your:
- Insurance information.
- Property tax receipt.
- Renewal notice (required for renewals performed at a sheriff’s office).
- Payment for the applicable renewal fee.
West Virginia Registration Renewal Fees
- Standard plate renewal (1 year): $51.50
- Standard plate renewal (2 years): $103.00
- Motorcycle standard plate renewal (1 year): $16.00
- Motorcycle standard plate renewal (2 years): $32.00
For a complete list of registration fees check the fee schedule.