Utah Registration Renewal
It’s important to keep a valid vehicle registration for your Utah vehicle. Registration fees are due annually. There are a few different ways to renew a vehicle registration in Utah. You can renew:
- At an authorized “On-the-Spot” location.
- At drive-through locations.
- By mail.
The UT Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) no longer sends renewal notices in the mail. Use the DMV online portal to set up an email renewal reminder.
NOTE: Some vehicles will require a safety or emissions inspection before renewal.
Renew UT Vehicle Registration Online
Online renewal is perhaps the easiest way to renew a vehicle registration. To renew online, you’ll need to visit the DMV online portal and provide your:
- Registration renewal notice information OR information found on your current registration certificate. This includes your:
- License plate number.
- Zip code.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Emission certificate and safety inspection certificate, if required.
- Credit card information for payment of the renewal fees.
Your registration receipt and plate sticker will be mailed to your address.
UT Registration Renewal at an On-the-Spot Location
Another easy way to renew a registration is at one of the UT DMV On-the-Spot locations. This allows you to immediately print out your registration and plate decal immediately.
You may be asked to provide your:
- Current registration or registration renewal notice.
- Certificate from your admissions check or safety inspection.
- Proof of insurance.
- Driver’s license or ID card.
- Payment for the registration renewal fee.
Renew Utah Registration at a Drive-Through Location
Some Utah DMV offices have a drive-through service that allows customers to renew their vehicle registration without having to leave their cars. Be ready to provide your:
- Current registration or renewal notice.
- Insurance card.
- Certificate from your admissions check or safety inspection (if applicable).
- Payment for the renewal fee.
You will be given your new registration and plate sticker as soon as you complete your transaction.
The following locations offer drive-through services:
- Salt Lake.
- South Valley.
Renew UT Registration by Mail
You can also renew your registration by mail. This will require you to:
- Complete the form enclosed with your renewal notice.
- Provide the applicable inspection certificates.
- Enclose a check for the renewal amount owed made payable to the “Utah State Tax Commission.”
- Mail these items to:
Motor Vehicle Division
P.O. Box 30412
Salt Lake City, UT 84130
Utah Registration Renewal Fees
Use the Utah DMV registration renewal fee calculator to determine your fees.