Renew an Ohio Vehicle Registration
Ohio drivers are required to keep a valid registration for the vehicles they own. You can register up to 90 days before the expiration date.
You can renew a vehicle registration:
- By mail.
- In person.
An emissions check document may be required to renew. This applies if the vehicle is 25 years old or younger and:
- Was NOT given an emissions inspection within the past year (emissions checks must be completed every other year).
- Is registered in one of the following counties*:
Get your emissions check at one of the designated locations.
*If your vehicle is registered in one of the listed counties, you’re eligible for multi-year renewal (valid up to 5 years).
Renew OH Registration Online
The easiest way to renew an Ohio registration is online through the OPLATES web portal. To renew online:
- Visit the online portal and log in. This may require your:
- Driver’s license number.
- Social security number.
- License plate number.
- Provide payment for the renewal fee.
Your new registration will be mailed to the address on file.
Renew an Ohio Vehicle Registration by Mail
To renew by mail, make sure you allow 4 weeks for your application to reach the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), be processed, and your new documents to be mailed to you. To renew by mail:
- Complete an Application for Registration (BMV 4625).
- Enclose a check or money order made payable to the “Ohio Treasurer of State.”
- Mail to:
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Vehicle Information Services
Registration Support Services
P.O. Box 16521
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6521
Renew Ohio Registration in Person
If you prefer to renew in person, you can do so at your local deputy registrar license agency. Visit the office and provide your:
- Ohio license or state ID.
- Lease agreement and power of attorney (if applicable).
- Emissions check document (if applicable).
- Payment for the applicable fees and taxes.
You will have to sign a proof of Financial Responsibility Statement, which confirms your vehicle is insured.
OH Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
- 1 year registration: $5.00
- 2 year registration: $7.50
- 3 year registration: $10.00
- 4 year registration: $12.50
- 5 year registration: $15.00
- Late fee (10 days after expiration or more): $10.00