Renew New York Vehicle Registration
Registration in New York lasts for 2 years.
There are several options for renewing your vehicle registration in New York. Renew your registration either:
- By mail.
- In person.
You will NOT be able to renew a registration that:
- Is currently revoked or suspended.
- Is for a vehicle that has NOT been inspected within the past year.
- Expired more than 1 year ago. You will have to re-register the vehicle in person or by mail.
There is no need to wait for your registration to expire, as renewing early will NOT affect your next registration date.
Renew NY Registration Online
Before you renew your car registration online, make sure the address you have on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is up-to-date. If necessary, you can update your address online before you renew.
To renew your registration online, visit the NY DMV online portal and be ready to provide:
- The license plate number.
- The registration class code (e.g. PAS. Find this on the top left of your registration card).
- The last name of the person to whom the vehicle is registered (or the name of the business).
- Credit/debit card information to pay the registration fee. Your amount owed appears on your renewal notice and will display on the screen before you complete the transaction.
Renew NY Vehicle Registration by Mail
If you prefer, you can renew your registration by mail.
To renew by mail, simply:
- Verify the information on your renewal notice. If you’ve misplaced your renewal notice, complete a Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82).
- Include a check payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles for the amount owed. If you don’t know the amount, you may leave the amount portion of the check blank.
Mail these items to:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503
Renew New York Registration in Person
If you can, it’s better to renew your registration online or by mail. Doing so not only saves you a trip but keeps lines less crowded in the office. However, the option to renew in person is still available.
To renew in person, visit your local DMV office and provide:
- Your renewal notice or completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82).
- Payment for the renewal fee.
NY Registration Renewal Fees
Registration fees in New York are based on the weight and type of vehicle. County tax will also be due upon renewal.
View the NY DMV registration fee chart for a breakdown of costs.