Renew NJ Vehicle Registration
There are several ways to renew your New Jersey vehicle registration with the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC). You can renew:
- By mail.
- In person.
You must renew online if you are eligible. Eligible vehicle owners will have a PIN on their renewal notice.
Renew New Jersey Registration Online
To renew your registration online, visit the New Jersey MVC website and navigate to the online renewal portal.
You will need to provide:
- The PIN from your renewal notice.
- Your address (you can also update your address at this time).
- Insurance information.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Credit card information for payment.
If you want, you can choose to order a special interest license plate when you renew for an additional fee.
Your new registration will be valid immediately, but it will take between 7 and 14 days to receive your new card, sticker, and special interest license plate (if ordered) in the mail. If your current registration is unexpired, keep it in your vehicle while you wait until your new registration arrives.
If it takes longer than 2 weeks to receive your registration items OR if you’ve misplaced your renewal notice and need your PIN, call:
- (888) 486-3339 if you are in New Jersey.
- (609) 292-6500 if you are outside the state.
Renew NJ Vehicle Registration by Mail
If you don’t have the option to renew your New Jersey registration online, your renewal notice will tell you if you can renew by mail.
To renew your car registration by mail:
- Complete the form included on your renewal notice (both sides).
- Write a check for the amount owed made payable to “NJMVC.”
- Place both items in the provided envelope. Make sure the address is visible through the window of the included envelope before you seal and mail the envelope.
New Jersey Registration Renewal In Person
If your registration requires you to renew in person, you’ll have to visit your local MVC office and provide your:
- Completed Application for Vehicle Registration (BA-49).
- Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- Insurance company name and policy number.
- License plate number.
- NJ driver’s license, valid passport, or other form of primary ID.
- Power of Attorney document if renewing on behalf of someone else.
- Payment for the renewal fee. The MVC accepts:
- Money orders.
- Checks made payable to “NJMVC.”
- Credit/debit cards.
NJ Car Registration Renewal Fees
Your registration renewal fee will be printed on your renewal notice. You can also use the MVC registration fee calculator online to calculate costs.
This is how registration renewal fees are calculated for non-commercial vehicles (note that your total may include extra taxes and fees):
- More than 2 years old* and under 3500 pounds: $46.50.
- More than 2 years old* and 3500 pounds or heavier: $71.50.
- 2 years old or newer and under 3500 pounds: $59.50.
- 2 years old or newer and 3500 pounds or heavier: $84.
- Motorcycles: $65.
*Up until 1979. Use the MVC fee chart for a complete breakdown of registration fees of all types.