Missouri Vehicle Registration Renewal
Missouri drivers must keep their license plates up-to-date with the Department of Revenue (DOR). You can renew up to 6 months before your registration expires. The DOR allows vehicle owners to renew:
- By mail.
- In person.
Renew MO Vehicle Registration Online
The most convenient option for renewing a Missouri vehicle registration is by using the DOR online system.
You can renew online if you(r):
- County has processed your property tax payment information through the DOR.
- Have a receipt for payment of your property tax payment. You can obtain a receipt from your County or City Collector.
- Registration is valid, or has NOT expired more than 30 days.
- Have a PIN on your renewal notice (received in the mail). If you have NOT received or lost your renewal notice, contact [email protected] to obtain your PIN. In your email, provide your:
- Year and make of vehicle.
- Last 5 digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- License plate number.
- Registration expiration date.
- Can pay by electronic check or credit card.
To renew online, visit the online portal and provide your:
- License plate number.
- Payment for the renewal fee.
Renew Missouri Vehicle Registration by Mail OR in Person
- Renewal notice OR print and complete an Application for Motor Vehicle License (Form 184)
- A safety or emissions inspection certificate dated within the past 60 days (if applicable)*.
- A paid property tax receipt (must be original, copy or electronic copy)
- A statement of non-assessment from the previous year (if you have a 1-year registration) or from the previous 2 years (if you have a 2-year registration), or
- A Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) if you are a military member stationed out of Missouri.
- Insurance identification card (original, copy, or digital) or a:
- Payment for the applicable renewal fee.
Submit your items to your local license office OR mail them to
Motor Vehicle Bureau
P.O. Box 2046
Jefferson City, MO 65105-2046
Call (573) 526-3669 or email [email protected] if you have any questions about renewing your registration by mail.
*If you have been residing out-of-state for more than 60 days, indicate this on your Motor Vehicle License form in lieu of an emissions or safety exam. When you return to Missouri, you have 10 days to get your vehicle inspected for both safety and emissions.
Missouri Registration Renewal Fees
Renewal fees are based on vehicle horsepower and weight (for commercial vehicles). See the DOR fee schedule for a complete list of registration fees.