Renew Indiana License
If eligible, you can renew your Indiana driver’s license or state ID card:
Online Indiana License Renewal Eligibility
You can renew your Indiana driver’s license online or at a BMV Connect kiosk, provided you(r):
- Previous license was renewed in person.
- Previous license photo is on file with the BMV.
- Are 21 years old or older.
- Are a U.S. Citizen and Indiana resident.
- Last or current license is not suspended, invalidated, or revoked.
- Do not have a for-hire or motorcycle endorsement on your license.
- Are under 75 years old.
- Have not changed your name, address, or personal information.
- Do not require an exam to renew your IN driver’s license.
- License expires in 2 years or less, or has not expired more than 180 days ago.
- Do not have restrictions J, or 2 through 9 on your license.
- Have less than 6 points on your driver’s license.
Online Indiana State ID Card Renewal Eligibility
You can renew your Indiana State ID online or at a BMV Connect kiosk as long as you(r):
- Are an Indiana resident and U.S. citizen.
- Already have your last photo on file with the BMV.
- Renewal date is less than 24 months in the future, or your ID card has not expired more than 180 days ago.
- Do not need to change your name, address, or personal information.
- Do not have restrictions, 3,7, or 9 on your record.
Renew IN License Online
To renew your Indiana driver’s license or ID card online:
- Visit the MyBMV portal.
- Login or create an account if you haven’t already.
- Be ready to provide your:
- Social security number (SSN).
- Date of birth.
- Pay your license renewal fee by electronic check or credit card.
- MyBMV accepts Visa, Discovery, MasterCard, and American Express.
Renew IN License at a BMV Connect Kiosk
The eligibility requirements to renew your Indiana driver’s license or ID card at an automated BMV Connect kiosk are the same as to renew online.
To renew at an electronic kiosk near you, be ready to provide your:
- Driver’s license or ID number.
- Zip code.
- Last 4 digits of your SSN.
- Payment for the renewal fee. BMV Connect kiosks accept:
- Electronic checks.
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discovery credit cards.
Renew Indiana License In Person
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements to renew your license or ID card online, or if you prefer to renew in person, you can renew your driver’s license at your local BMV office.
There, you may have to:
- Take a photo.
- Pass a vision exam, or submit a Vision Screening Documentation (56520) form completed by a licensed eye doctor if you:
- Are 75 years old or older.
- Have an expired license.
- Pass a knowledge test, if you have 6 or more points on your driving record or your license has been expired for 180 days or longer (you must also satisfy the vision screening requirements..
- If your license has been expired for 3 years or longer, you will also have to pass a driving skills test to renew your license.
- Provide a document to prove your*:
- Identity and lawful status.
- SSN (or proof of ineligibility for foreign nationals).
- Indiana residency (2 documents required to obtain a REAL ID).
- Provide your medical certification (for non-excepted commercial drivers).
- Provide payment for the license renewal fee and late fee (if applicable).
*This applies to hoosiers who want to apply for a REAL ID for the first time or for all foreign nationals with permanent or temporary legal status. Find a complete list of acceptable documents on the BMV website.
Renew IN Driver’s License Out of State
If you’re out of state when your Indiana driver’s license expires and you do not meet the eligibility requirements for renewing your IN license online, you may request a 30-day extension from the date your license expires.
To request a 30-day extension:
- Complete a Request for Interim License (54580) form.
- Mail your completed request to the address listed on the form.
If your request is approved, you’ll receive an email containing your 30-day extension.
If you’re serving in the military outside of Indiana when your driver’s license expires, you’re granted a 90-day extension following your discharge.
To continue driving legally:
- Print a Military Extension Letter.
- Keep it with your expired license when you drive.
- Bring your discharge letter when you renew your Indiana driver’s license.
Indiana Driver’s License Renewal Fees
- Indiana state ID renewal: $9
- Indiana driver’s license renewal:
- 21-74 years old: $17.50 (lasts 6 years).
- 75-84 years old: $11 (lasts 3 years).
- 85 and older: $7 (lasts 2 years).
- Late renewal fee: $6
- IN commercial driver’s license (CDL): $35.