What is an Indiana REAL ID?
In 2005, Congress passed the REAL ID Act in an effort to make the country safer and more secure. Beginning in October 2021, you’ll need one of these new federally accepted IDs to:
- Board a plane (even for domestic flights).
- Enter a federal facility.
- Enter nuclear power plants.
The security standards for getting a REAL ID are stricter than getting a regular state ID or license.
An Indiana REAL ID is marked by a star in the right-hand corner. If you see this star on your Indiana ID or driver’s license, you have a REAL ID.
Indiana REAL ID Requirements
You can get an Indiana REAL ID by visiting your local BMV office and presenting the following*:
Proof of Identity and lawful status. This may include one of the following:
- U.S. Birth Certificate.
- Valid U.S. passport.
- Certificate of Naturalization.
- If your name does not match this document exactly, you must also bring a government-issued document to prove your name has been legally changed (such as a marriage certificate).
- Proof of social security. This may include your:
- Social security card.
- Pay stub containing your social security number (SSN).
- W-2 or 1099 tax form.
- Proof of IN residency. You’ll need 2 documents to establish residency. These can include:
- Utility or credit card bills from within the last 60 days.
- A Indiana voter registration card.
- First-class mail from a state or federal court agency from within the last 60 days.
- Payment for the license fee.
Once you satisfy the Indiana REAL ID requirements the state will issue a driver’s license or ID that will be accepted by commercial agencies, federal facilities, and nuclear power plants.
*The Indiana BMV provides a complete list of acceptable documents.
Indiana REAL ID Fees
- Indiana state ID: $9
- Indiana driver’s license for residents between 21 and 74 years old: $17.50 (lasts 6 years).
- Indiana driver’s license for hoosiers between 75 and 84 years old: $11 (lasts 3 years).
- IN driver’s license for residents 85 and older: $7 (lasts 2 years).
- IN commercial driver’s license (CDL): $35.
- Late fee (if you renew your license after expiration): $6.