Illinois Vehicle Registration Renewal
There are a few different ways to renew your vehicle registration in Illinois. You can renew:
- By phone.
- By mail.
- In person.
Renewal fees are due annually.
If you do NOT have your current registration or renewal notice and you:
- Reside in Illinois, call 800-252-8980 to request your Registration ID and PIN.
- Reside outside Illinois, call 217-785-3000 to request your Registration ID and PIN.
Renew IL Registration Online
You can only renew online if you do NOT need to:
- Change your vehicle information.
- Have your registration sticker mailed to an out-of-state address.
- Change your license plate type or the spacing in the numbers.
The Secretary of State (SOS) office recommends renewing at least 1 month in advance if you renew online to ensure you receive your replacement sticker and receipt in the mail before expiration.
To renew your registration online, visit the SOS online portal and provide your:
- Registration ID and PIN located on the renewal notice or registration card.
- Payment for the renewal fee. The SOS accepts:
- Electronic checks.
- American Express.
Renew Illinois Vehicle Registration by Phone
To renew your IL registration by phone, call 866-545-9609 and provide your:
- Registration ID and PIN.
- Payment for the renewal fee.
Illinois Registration Renewal by Mail
If you’re renewing by mail, give yourself at least 30 days to renew. To renew by mail:
- Sign your renewal notice OR provide a letter containing your:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Year, make, and model.
- Make necessary changes to your vehicle, address, or name (if applicable).
- This may require documents to prove the change.
- Provide a check for the requested amount made payable to the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Mail your items to the:
Illinois Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd. St., Rm. 011
Springfield, IL 62756-6666
Renew IL Car Registration in Person
You can renew your registration in person at any SOS office, currency exchange, or bank that processes renewal transactions. Provide your renewal notice and payment for your registration renewal fee.
IL Registration Renewal Fees
- Passenger vehicle: $151.
- Motorcycle: $41.
- Truck (Class B): $151.
- Truck (Class C): $218.
For a complete breakdown of other license plate renewal costs check the SOS website.