Renew a Georgia License or ID
There are several ways to renew your driver’s license or photo ID in Georgia. You can renew:
- Online or through the mobile app.
- By mail.
- In person.
NOTE: If you need to renew a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or would like to apply for a REAL ID, in person renewal is required.
By-mail renewal is only allowed in certain circumstances (see renew by mail section below).
Renew Your GA License Online
You can renew your license or ID online as long as you:
- Already have a REAL ID.
- Are a U.S. citizen.
- Have a license that is NOT suspended, canceled or revoked.
- Do NOT have a CDL.
Renewing online or through the DDS 2 Go Mobile App requires you to make an account through the Department of Driver Services (DDS) website.
To create an account, you will need your:
- Driver’s license or ID number.
- Social security number (SSN).
- The issue date of your license or ID.
- Email address.
Once you have an account, login through the app or on the DDS website and provide the information required to renew your license. For payment, the DDS accepts:
- American Express.
Renew Your Georgia License by Mail
Renewal by mail in Georgia is only allowed for GA residents in certain circumstances. It may take up to 30 days to process your request.
You can renew by mail if you:
- Are in the military and are stationed out-of-state.
- Attend school or work outside the state of Georgia OR are a dependent of someone in this situation (only issuance allowed).
- Are physically incapacitated and unable to visit a customer service location in person (only a non-driver ID will be issued).
Find the complete Mail-In Renewal Packet including all the forms listed below on the DDS website.
To renew by mail, you must:
- Complete a Form for License/ID/Permit (DDS-23MIR).
- Complete an Application for Non-Commercial License Vision Screening Results (DDS-274A). Must be certified by an optometrist.
- This is NOT required for non-driver IDs.
- A Credit Card Payment Authorization Form (DDS-100).
Depending on your situation, you must also:
- Complete an Affidavit for Military Personnel Unable to Visit a Customer Service Center (DDS-359).
- Complete an Affidavit for Customers Physically Unable to Visit a Customer Service Center (DDS-361).
- Complete an Affidavit for Customers on Temporary Work Assignment Out of State Unable to Visit a Customer Service Center (DDS-360).
Mail your documents to:
DDS Special Issuance
2206 Eastview Parkway
Conyers, GA 30013
Renew Your Georgia License in Person
Before you visit the DDS customer service office, you must complete a license/ID/permit form on the DDS website. When you get to the confirmation page, you can make an appointment if you wish.
Filling out the form will allow you to visit any DDS office for 60 days.
When you renew in person at your local DDS office, you may be asked to:
- Provide your current license or ID.
- Provide your medical certification (for CDL drivers).
- Take a vision test (drivers only).
- Provide payment for the license or ID renewal fee.
GA License Renewal Fees
- ID card: $32.
- Driver’s license: $32.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL): $32.