Renew a Vehicle Registration in Georgia
The Georgia Department of Revenue allows Georgia driver’s to renew their registration in several different ways. You can renew:
- By mail.
- In person.
- At a self-service kiosk.
You should receive a renewal notice in the mail the month your license plate registration expires.
If your address has changed, first change the address on your license, then change the address online through DRIVES e-services OR at your local county tag office to receive your registration documents.
Certain GA counties require an emissions exam before you can renew your registration.
Renew GA Registration Online
To renew your Georgia car registration online, visit the DRIVES e-services online portal and provide your:
- License plate number or vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Driver’s license number.
- Passing emissions inspection information (in counties that require it).
- Your credit card information or an electronic check for payment.
Renew a Georgia Car Registration by Mail or in Person
To renew your Georgia registration by mail or in person, you will need your:
- Renewal notice.
- Proof of liability insurance.
- Your license or ID card (for in-person renewal).
- Proof of passing an emissions test in certain counties.
- Payment for the fees and taxes.
To renew by mail, complete the form attached to the renewal notice you received and mail your documents and payment to the address provided.
In person registration renewal is done at your local county tag office.
Renew a GA Registration at a Self-Service Kiosk
In order to register at a DDS self-service kiosk, you must:
- Register your vehicle in a participating county.
- Have a vehicle emissions exam on file (in participating counties).
- Have the correct address listed on your renewal notice.
- Have a valid GA license.
- Have GA liability insurance on file with the DDS.
At the self-service kiosk, provide the requested information and documents and payment for the applicable fees and taxes. Your registration and license plate decal will print once you finish the transaction.
Georgia Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
A standard passenger vehicle or pickup truck costs $20 to register or renew the license plate registration in Georgia. Additional fees or taxes may apply.
Emissions exam fees may vary depending on the location.
Contact your local county tag office for more information.