How to Renew a Florida Driver’s License or ID Card
A Florida driver’s license or ID card expires every 8 years. Residents can renew their licenses up to 18 months before the expiration date listed on the card.
You can renew your FL license:
- Check your eligibility on GoRenew.com.
- In-person at a FLHSMV office that processes licensing transactions.
Renew Florida Driver’s License Online
The FLHSMV offers a one-time online license and ID card renewal for customers.
Online renewal is only available to FL residents that:
- Have NOT used the online renewal service previously.
- Do NOT hold a commercial driver’s license or temporary license.
- Are NOT applying for a Florida license for the first time.
- Already hold a Florida license that is REAL ID compliant.
- Do NOT want to update their photo.
- Do NOT need to change any of the following:
- Name on their license.
- Class designations listed on their license.
To renew your Florida license online:
- Visit GoRenew.com.
- Provide your last name and date of birth.
- Confirm your social security number (SSN) and any other information requested.
- Provide credit card or checking account information for the:
- $48 license fee.
- $2 processing fee.
- $15 late fee (if applicable).
Once you complete the process, enter your email address to receive a digital confirmation/receipt of the transaction.
In 7-10 business days you should receive your new license in the mail.
Renew a Florida Driver’s License In Person
If you do not qualify for online renewal, or if you prefer to renew in person, you can renew your FL driver’s license or ID card at an FLHSMV location that processes licensing transactions.
New Florida licenses will be REAL ID compliant, which means if your current FL license or ID is not a REAL ID, you’ll have to provide proof* of:
- Identity. Such as a U.S. passport or birth certificate.
- SSN. Like a social security card or tax document.
- Florida residency (2 documents required). This may include mortgages, rental/lease agreements, utility bills, etc.
You may be required to:
- Take a photo.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Provide documents to prove your legal name change if applicable (such as a marriage certificate).
- Provide medical certification (for non-excepted interstate or non-excepted intrastate commercial drivers).
- Pass a written and skills test (when adding a designation to your license, such as a motorcycle endorsement).
See the section below for a breakdown of Florida license renewal fees.
*Find a complete list of acceptable documents on the FLHSMV website.
FL License Renewal Fees
- Class E (basic automotive renewal): $48.
- ID card: $25.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL): $75.
- Endorsement: $7.
- Late fee: $15.