Renew a Delaware Vehicle Registration
Delaware drivers are required to keep a valid registration in their vehicles and keep a decal on their license plates. Registration expires:
- Every year for vehicles 6 years old or less. These vehicles can be renewed by mail or in person with no inspection required.
- Every other year for vehicles 6 years old or older. These vehicles require an inspection and renewal in person.
The Delaware DMV also allows customers to renew vehicle registrations through the online portal.
If you provide the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) with your email address you will receive a reminder to renew 30, 60, and 90 days prior to expiration. You can renew up to 90 days before expiration.
You can get your vehicle inspection at any of the 4 DMV locations in Delaware when you go in to renew your registration.
Registration renewal requires:
- DE liability insurance.
- Current odometer reading.
- Current registration.
- Proof of inspection (if required).
- Payment for the renewal fee.
Registration Renewal Fees
- 5,000 lbs. or less: $40.
- Commercial vehicles over 5,000 lbs: $40 + $18 for each additional 5,000 pounds.
- Late registration fee (due after expiration): $20.