Renew a Vehicle Registration in South Dakota
It’s important for South Dakota drivers to keep their registration documents up-to-date through the Department of Revenue (DOR). You can renew your plates:
- By mail.
- At a DMV Now License Kiosk.
- In person.
Renew South Dakota Registration Online
Renewing a vehicle registration online is easy and convenient. To renew online you will need your:
- South Dakota license or ID number.
- FEIN number (if renewing on behalf of a business).
- Credit/debit card or bank account information for payment.
To renew online:
- Visit the online portal.
- Login or create an account (this will require your social security number [SSN]).
- Follow the instructions to complete your transaction.
Renew SD Vehicle Registration by Mail
The DOR will send a renewal notice to your address shortly before your registration expires.
- Complete your renewal postcard.
- Provide payment for the renewal fees. The DOR accepts personal checks, cashier’s checks, and money orders.
- Mail these items to your local county treasurer’s office.
It may take up to 2 weeks to process your renewal transaction. Your new items will be mailed to your address.
Renew SD Vehicle Registration at a DMV Now Kiosk
You can also renew at a self-service kiosk, which are conveniently located throughout the state.
To renew at a kiosk, you will need your:
- Renewal notice.
- Driver’s license or ID card.
- Credit/debit card or electronic check information for payment.
Your registration items will be printed at the kiosk.
Renew South Dakota Car Registration at a Treasurer’s Office
To renew in person, visit your local county treasurer’s office and provide your:
- Renewal notice. If the vehicle is not listed on the notice, you must provide a form of ownership such as the title or your license renewal form.
- Photo ID.
- Payment for the applicable fees. Contact the treasurer’s office for acceptable forms of payment.
South Dakota Registration Renewal Fees
- Electronic check processing fee: $1.50
- Credit/debit card processing fee: 2.25%
- Mailing fee (for mail and internet renewal): $1.00
Renewal fees may vary depending on the vehicle age, type, and the county of residence.