Renew a Nebraska Driver’s License or ID
Keeping a valid license or ID in Nebraska is important. Most residents can renew:
- In person.
You should receive a reminder in the mail from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to renew about 30 days before expiration. However, you can renew up to:
- 90 days before your license or ID expires if you are 21 years old or older.
- 60 days before expiration if you are under 21 years old.
- The new license will NOT become valid until 10 days before your old license expires.
All valid Nebraska licenses and IDs are already REAL ID-compliant. See the NE REAL ID page for details.
Renew a Nebraska ID or License Online
You are eligible to renew your ID or license online if you(r):
- Name has NOT changed since your last identification was issued.
- Have NOT changed your physical appearance drastically (current photo will be reused).
- Class O or Class M license has NOT been renewed online the past 2 times and will expire before your 72nd birthday.
- Your CDL can be renewed online every other time as long as it will expire before your 72nd birthday. A non-driver ID can be renewed online up to 3 consecutive times.
- Have NOT replaced your CDL online twice within the past 5 years. Do NOT have a Hazmat endorsement. Do NOT want to change your CDL license type.
To renew online, visit the online portal and provide your:
- License, ID or social security number (SSN).
- Proof of address change documents (if applicable).
- Email address.
- Credit card information for payment for the renewal fee. The DMV accepts:
CDL drivers may also need to provide:
- Proof of citizenship if they do NOT already have citizenship documents on file.
- Medical examiner’s certificate (if they are a non-excepted driver).
You should receive your permanent card in the mail within 20 days.
Renew an NE License or ID in Person
To renew in person, visit your local DMV office and provide:
- A completed Operators License-ID data form OR Commercial Drivers License data form.
- A current ID OR other acceptable form of identification. This may include your*:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- 2 documents to prove your address (if you moved or have NOT yet verified your current address). This may include your*:
- Paystub issued within the past 90 days.
- Nebraska vehicle registration.
- Nebraska voter registration card.
- A piece of mail addressed to you postmarked within the past 90 days.
- Payment for the renewal fee.
You may be required to take a vision exam or present proof you meet medical requirements (if applicable).
*The DMV provides a complete list of acceptable documents.
Nebraska License Renewal Fees
- 5-year license or ID renewal: $28.50.
- 4-year license or ID renewal (17 years old): $23.50.
- 3-year license or ID renewal (18 years old): $18.50.
- 2-year license or ID renewal (19 years old): $14.50.
- 1-year license or ID renewal (20 years old): $9.50.
- 5-year CDL renewal: $59.50.
- 4-year CDL renewal (17 years old): $48.50.
- 3-year CDL renewal (18 years old): $37.50.
- 2-year CDL renewal (19 years old): $26.50.
- 1-year CDL renewal (20 years old): $15.50.