Renew Alaska License or ID
New Alaska driver’s licenses and IDs are valid for 8 years.
You can renew your Alaska driver’s license as early as 1 year before it expires. You can renew your license:
- By mail.
- In person.
NOTE: If you wish to apply for a REAL ID when you renew, you must do so in person and present additional documents.
Renew Your Alaska License Online
In order to be eligible for online renewal, you must:
- Have renewed in person last time.
- Be between 21 and 68 years old.
- Be a U.S. citizen and have been one since before your last ID renewal or issuance.
- NOT need to change your name.
- NOT have a suspended, revoked, or disqualified license.
- NOT have a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
To renew your Alaska driver’s license or ID online, visit the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) online portal and provide your:
- License or ID number.
- Social security number (SSN).
- Date of birth.
- Your weight and height as it is listed on your driver’s license.
- Credit or debit card number for payment. The DMV accepts Visa and Mastercard.
Renew Your Alaska License by Mail
You are eligible to renew by mail as long as you:
- Are 22 years old or older.
- Do NOT need to change the personal information on your license or ID.
- Do NOT hold a CDL.
- Are a U.S. citizen and have been one since before your last ID renewal or issuance.
To renew your license by mail:
- Fill out the renewal notice you received in the mail.
- Provide a check made payable to the “State of Alaska” or the “Division of Motor Vehicles.”
- Mail these items to:
State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
3901 Old Seward Highway, Suite 101
Anchorage, AK 99503
Renew Your AK ID or License in Person
Some situations require you to renew your ID in person. Consider making an appointment to ensure you’ll spend less time waiting in line.
When you visit, be ready to provide your:
- Current license or ID.
- Medical certification (for CDL drivers only)
- Proof of legal U.S. presence (for non-U.S. citizens, new U.S. citizens, and CDL drivers only).
- Payment for your renewal fee. The DMV accepts:
- Mastercard, or Visa credit or debit cards.
- Checks and money orders made payable to the “State of Alaska” or the “Division of Motor Vehicles.”
Alaska License Renewal Fees
- Standard license renewal: $20.
- REAL ID renewal: $40.
- CDL renewal: $100.
- CDL REAL ID renewal: $120.
- State ID renewal: $15.
- State ID (REAL ID compliant) renewal: $35.