AK Registration Renewal
Registration fees are due every 2 years in Alaska*. There are several ways to renew your vehicle registration in Alaska. You can renew:
- By mail.
- By phone.
- In person.
If you are a senior, you may be able to obtain permanent registration.
Renew Alaska Vehicle Registration Online
To renew your vehicle registration online, visit the AK Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) online portal and provide your:
- Registration renewal number (RRN), which is located on your renewal notice.
- Your license plate number AND the last 2 digits on your vehicle identification number (VIN).
Once your information is verified, provide any additional information requested and your credit card information to pay your registration fees and taxes.
Renew AK Car Registration by Mail
If you prefer, you can renew your Alaska registration by mail. Please note that the mail-in renewal process takes approximately 6 weeks, so be sure you have enough time before your registration expires.
To renew by mail:
- Provide a:
- Copy of your current registration.
- A completed Vehicle Transaction Application (812).
- Your Leave and Earning Statement (LES) if you are in the military but claim Alaska as your home state.
- Check or money order for the applicable registration fees and taxes made payable to the “State of Alaska” or the “Division of Motor Vehicles.”
- Self-addressed envelope for the DMV to use to send your registration items.
- Mail your items to:
State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
3901 Old Seward Highway, Suite 101
Anchorage AK 99503
Renew Alaska Vehicle Registration by Phone
To renew your AK registration by phone, simply dial (907) 269-5551. You may be asked to provide your:
- Driver’s license number.
- License plate number.
- RRN (on your renewal notice).
- Credit card information for payment. The DMV accepts Visa and Mastercard.
Renew AK Car Registration in Person
To renew your Alaska registration in person, visit your local DMV office and be ready to provide your:
- License or ID.
- Current registration or registration renewal notice.
- Proof of insurance.
- Payment for your registration renewal fees and taxes. The DMV accepts:
- Checks or money orders made payable to the “State of Alaska” or the “Division of Motor Vehicles.” NOTE: There is an extra $10 walk-in fee added to your total when you renew in person.
AK Registration Renewal Fees
The cost of registration renewal depends on the type and age of the vehicle you own. Taxes may vary based on the county you live in.
You can use the registration fee calculator or look on your renewal notice to determine the amount and taxes owed.